Looking for an Uber accident lawyer is not something people usually want to do, but it’s necessary if you were in a vehicle crash. Whether you were the driver or the passenger of an Uber, you might require legal assistance to guarantee you go through a smooth process.
According to Uber, there were 97 fatal crashes between 2017 and 2018. Even though millions of people call for Ubers each day, going on the road is uncertain because you don’t know who you might encounter. Many accidents are not fatal, but even minor accidents could impact your life and hinder your ability to complete daily tasks.
The Legal Process Of An Uber Accident Claim
Even though being in an Uber accident is a very uncomfortable situation to go through, there’s a legal process involved, especially if you want to file a claim for your injuries.
The process is similar to having a car accident when you’re not in an Uber. However, if you’re a victim, you could sue Uber or the driver, which is something other people can’t do. Consequently, you have to assess all factors and determine the right actions to pursue, which is why having knowledgeable legal experts by your side is so important.
Accident victims need to gather as many details as possible at the accident scene. Some things you should try to gather include:
- Pictures of the vehicles, property damage, surrounding area, and visible injuries
- All driver’s contact information – The uber driver as well as the other driver involved
- Details about the road and weather
- Date and time of the accident
- Both car’s plate number
It is also crucial to seek medical treatment as soon as possible after the accident happened to ensure compensation for your injuries.
What To Do After An Uber Accident
The first factor you should keep in mind when you’re in an Uber accident is to understand what you must do.
Every decision you make right after being in the Uber accident is vital, and it could change the whole course of your case. Thus, knowing what you should do is essential to guarantee the best outcomes possible. Let’s discuss some steps an uber accident attorney suggests you take after an accident.
Immediately Report What Happened
You have to immediately contact the authorities after the accident occurred. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t sustain any injuries, or if it was a minor crash. To be eligible for any compensation after an uber accident you have to call the authorities and get police officers to give you a report of what occurred.
A Police accident report is vital when you’re going to get a fair settlement for the accident you were in. Therefore, you must call the authorities as soon as you can, and they can assess what happened.
Seek Medical Assistance
After any car accident, whether you were driving or you had an uber driver, you should be examined by a doctor. Even accidents at slow speeds can cause injuries such as whiplash.
Every detail is important when you’re in an Uber accident, and your health is always the most essential factor. Regardless of whether you were the passenger or the driver, you still need to guarantee that everyone in the vicinity is safe, which is why calling medical assistance is the first thing you should do after you call the authorities.
Hire a Specialized Lawyer
Wondering what type of lawyer you need for an Uber accident? You need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney who understands rideshare companies, and how to get financial compensation after there was an accident.
When you hire a personal injury attorney, they can guide you through the process, help you organize the evidence, negotiate with the insurance company agents, and much more. They’re experienced and knowledgeable professionals who can passionately defend your case.
Keep in Mind that Numerous Parties Might be Liable
Each Uber accident is unique, and that’s one of the reasons why seeking legal help in an injury law firm is so important. In some cases, there’s only one person responsible, and that might be the Uber driver.
However, in other cases, another negligent driver could be the responsible one. On some occasions, numerous parties are liable for what happened, such as if a commercial truck was involved. Also, as a passenger, you have the right to a properly working seat belt. If the Uber driver fails to provide one, they may be held partially responsible even if the accident was caused by someone else.
There are lots of variables in uber accident cases, which is why hiring a uber accident attorney can help you during the process. They can assess your case, guide you as you gather the evidence, and ensure that the liable party takes responsibility for what they did.
Frequently Asked Questions About Uber Accident Cases
When you’re a victim of an Uber accident, you may sue the driver and the company itself. However, keep in mind that it’s a big company, which is why they might dispute the claim and you could lose. Thus, having a lawyer is vital if you’re thinking about suing.
Getting a uber accident lawyer is vital for your case because you need someone to help you through the legal process, assess the evidence, and prove liability if it’s necessary. It’s even more essential if you’re going to trial since you may require expert guidance to manage everything.
Uber accidents can have a lot of variables. There are aspects that may be difficult to find, such as where is the coverage for passengers in the uber, the driver’s personal insurance policy? A commercial policy? Uber? Don’t try to answer all these questions on your own. Most uber accident attorneys offer free consultations, so talk to a rideshare accident attorney to see how you can recover compensation.
When you make a ride request with any ridesharing services the last thing on your mind is being injured in an accident. Unfortunately, sometimes it happens. When you are injured in a rideshare accident it is recommended to hire personal injury attorneys who specialize in these types of cases.
Most personal injury lawyers specialize in helping victims of an accident involving an uber work on a contingency fee basis. This means they charge no upfront fees or out-of-pocket expenses. The attorneys only get paid if they are able to get you compensation! With no risk to you, now is the time to pick up the phone and call for a free consultation.
It completely depends on your specific circumstances. As we answered earlier, you can be compensated for many things, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering and more. To know how much your case is worth, you need to consult with a specialized lawyer who can help you assess every piece of evidence you have and determine the right amount of money that’s fair for your circumstances. Most accident lawyers offer a free case evaluation, so calling is risk-free.
If you were the passenger in an uber and were injured you are entitled to compensation. Compensation can be classified into two types of damages, Economic and Non-Economic Damages. Economic damages are financial aspects of a claim, ones that you can quantify such as:
- Medical expenses: including treatment and medication
- Cost of ambulance rides
- Property damage (Such personal items that were damaged, such as a laptop, etc)
- Lost wages: current and future if applicable
The other type of compensation is non-economic damages. These are more difficult to quantify, as they do not have direct costs associated. This includes:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment
- Loss of consortium
Cases involving ridesharing services are slightly different from typical car accidents. As for one, you do not have the property damage of the vehicle. Also, understanding who’s insurance coverage will cover you if another vehicle is the cause of the accident.
In rare circumstances, you may also be able to receive monetary compensation for punitive damages if the cause of the accident was excessively reckless. Or if the accident was fatal, the case could also become a wrongful death case.
There are things to keep in mind when you’re in an Uber accident, but there are also other things you should avoid in order to have a smooth process and get the best results possible. Take a look at the following list of actions you should avoid:
- Never send letters to the other party: some people let their emotions control them after they’re in a car accident, and they often send threatening letters to the other driver. If you want to file a claim and get the compensation you deserve, you should avoid that because it’s evidence that could be used against your case.
- Don’t take cash for the damages sustained: in some cases, insurance company agents or the other parties might offer you cash money in advance. You should never take it, even if you’re desperate. Taking it means you’re accepting an offer, which might hinder you if you want to get a fair settlement.
- Avoid posting what happened on social media: you might feel tempted to post your accident on social media, especially if you’re upset. However, that’s evidence against you, and it could hinder your case, particularly if you have to go to trial. Keep what happened between you and your loved ones and wait for everything to be over before posting it on social media.
- Don’t admit fault: this suggestion is somewhat self-explanatory, but some people get nervous under pressure, so the reminder is important – you should never admit fault, even if you think you’re liable. Wait until you have a lawyer and allow them to help you.
- Never go through the process alone: professionals exist to help you, especially if they’re a personal injury lawyer. They understand the pain you’re going through, and they know how confusing things might be. Hire an attorney from an injury law firm and get all the legal guidance you need.
If an insurance company contacts you after your accident with a quick low compensation offer, we suggest speaking with an uber accident attorney first, as often it is not fair compensation.
Uber accidents, like all car accidents, can have a wide variety of injuries, depending on the severity of the accident. Some of the most common include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Back Injuries
- Chest Injuries
- Whiplash or Neck Injuries
- Internal Injuries
These are just a few of the injuries that a victim can endure. This is why it is essential to file a personal injury claim to get financial compensation for all injuries.
Although all drivers can cause accidents, rideshare drivers are more likely to get into accidents caused by the following:
1. Distracted Driving: With new riders getting into the vehicle continuously uber drivers may be distracted by chatty passengers, change radio or temperature for the guest, or from trying to watch a GPS to get to the location needed.
2. Scanning for passengers: When the rideshare app alerts them they are near their next pickup, they typically are looking around to find the passenger and take their eyes off the road.
3. Driver Fatigue: Many Uber drivers work in the late hours of the night, which could cause an accident due to being overly tired.
4. Reckless Driving: Rideshare drivers are getting paid by the trip, so if they want to increase their profits of the night, they may partake in dangerous driving, such as speeding or weaving in and out of traffic.
Uber drivers who are not at fault also are accident victims. If you are a ridesharing driver and were in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence you have the right to be compensated for your injuries.
Uber drivers are considered independent contractors which makes things slightly different than if you were driving your car for your own pleasure. Having a uber accident attorney on your side can help make the claim easier.
Hiring an Uber or Lyft accident lawyer is vital if you were injured in an accident and need legal assistance to go through the process to recover maximum compensation. Contact the personal injury law firm of Altman-Nussbaum-Shunnarah Trial Attorneys to schedule a free consultation with the top rideshare accident attorneys today!