Uber is becoming more and more common.
And with more Uber drivers on the road, that means the odds of being involved in an accident with an Uber vehicle are higher now than they’ve ever been.
If you were injured in an Uber accident, the negligent parties should be held responsible.
But Uber accident claims can be confusing, so you should always work with an experienced lawyer who can help you explore your legal options.
If you were hurt by an Uber, you have a right to compensation, whether you were an Uber passenger, pedestrian, or riding in another vehicle.
In the article below, our Uber Accident Lawyers will look at the compensation you can get after an accident.
What Do You Do If You’re In An Accident with an Uber Driver?
When you are in a motor vehicle accident with an Uber driver, the at-fault party will probably deny responsibility for causing the accident.
But that doesn’t mean you won’t receive your Uber accident settlement.
You should take specific steps right after the accident to hold the responsible parties accountable and get the compensation you deserve.
Below is what you should do after any car accident involving a rideshare company like Uber:
- Seek immediate medical attention – After an Uber accident, you need to see a doctor and undergo a thorough medical evaluation. Even if you feel fine and it doesn’t seem like you have a bodily injury, you still need medical attention. Never assume your injuries aren’t severe enough to see a doctor. And if you decide to file a claim, you need an official medical record describing your injuries in detail. You also want to follow up with medical care if your symptoms continue.
- Don’t accept an immediate settlement – Insurance adjusters try to limit their payouts by making settlement offers immediately after the accident. They want to hand you a check before realizing how bad your injuries are. But if you accept that settlement, it’s virtually impossible to recover any additional compensation from the liable parties. If you accept a settlement offer that doesn’t cover all your expenses and losses, you may be unable to file a personal injury lawsuit, and you’ll be stuck with that decision.
- Stay off social media – Don’t post any information about your accident on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube. Try not to post anything, even if it is unrelated to the accident. Insurance companies can and will use social media posts against you when you attempt to come up with your Uber accident settlement. The insurance company can even use an innocent post to contradict your personal injury lawsuit. Social media never helps your case, but it can easily hurt it.
- Call a lawyer right away – If you have been injured in an accident involving an Uber driver, an experienced Uber accident lawyer can help you receive fair compensation. Unfortunately, fair settlements aren’t always easy to come by when a rideshare driver is involved, but your injury attorney will ensure you receive fair compensation.
What Is My Uber Accident Case Worth?
The value of car accident claims typically depends on the insurance coverage available.
Like any other personal injury case, the damages you receive after an Uber or Lyft accident depend on:
- How severe your injuries are
- Lost wages and income
- Your diminished quality of life
- The general pain and suffering the injury caused
The availability of insurance compensation in Uber cases is unique because rideshare companies classify drivers as independent contractors.
That means you can’t sue Uber for damages after an accident.
Instead, Uber carries a commercial insurance policy to reimburse rideshare accident victims for their losses.
The amount available depends on what the Uber driver is doing at the time of the accident.
If The Driver’s Offline
If the driver is not using the Uber app at the time of the accident, Uber’s insurance is not available.
The driver’s personal auto insurance policy will instead apply.
The Driver Is Available to Accept a Ride Request
If the driver has the app open and is waiting to accept a passenger, Uber provides third-party liability coverage if all other insurance sources have been exhausted.
This typically includes:
- $75,000 in bodily injury coverage per person
- $150,000 in bodily injury coverage per accident
- $25,000 in property damage
The Driver Has A Passenger Or Accepted A Ride Request
Uber provides third-party liability coverage if the driver has a passenger.
The higher insurance limit also applies if the driver has accepted a ride request and is on the way to pick up the passenger.
The Uber policy provides uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage and contingent collision coverage.
You usually have to exhaust your car insurance coverage first.
If you exhaust your coverage and any other at-fault driver’s coverage, file a claim under Uber’s policy.
Compensation Available In Uber Settlements
An Uber accident attorney can get you compensation for medical bills, property damage, etc.
These are the common categories of damages available in an Uber accident lawsuit.
Broken bones, cuts and bruises, disfigurement, impaired mobility, spinal damage, soft tissue injuries, brain injuries, or any other bodily injury can permanently worsen a victim’s quality of life.
Professional legal representation can recover compensation for medical expenses and damages.
Lost wages, reduced productivity, and the loss of potential future earnings are all too common consequences of injury.
Uber accident settlement amounts should include these damages and immediate medical conditions and expenses.
Emotional damages like PTSD, emotional trauma, or anxiety can be an incredible detriment to your quality of life.
Your lawyer will conduct thorough investigations and collect expert reports to assess the extent of your emotional suffering.
Loss of Life’s Pleasures
Injuries can result in the deterioration of personal relationships, loss of consortium with a significant one, or the loss of enjoyment of life.
An experienced personal injury attorney knows the laws surrounding these accidents and can get compensation for these insidious types of damages.
They will use expert reports, a detailed collection of evidence, and targeted interviews to do this.
Contact Larry Nussbaum Trial Attorneys
Getting an Uber accident lawyer is vital for your case because you need someone to help you through the legal process, assess the evidence, and prove liability while you nurse your injuries.
It’s even more essential if you’re going to trial since you may require expert guidance to manage everything.
Uber accidents can have a lot of variables.
Some aspects may be challenging to find, such as where is the coverage for passengers in the uber, the driver’s personal insurance policy? A commercial policy? Uber?
A personal injury claim is complicated enough. Adding Uber to the mix makes things almost impossible to handle on your own.
A skilled personal injury lawyer will help you receive maximum compensation.
Most uber accident attorneys offer free consultations, so talk to a rideshare accident attorney to see how you can recover compensation.
Contact the personal injury law firm of Larry Nussbaum Trial Attorneys to schedule a free consultation with the top rideshare accident attorneys today!