Some personal injuries are so severe that they can change your life forever. These injuries can lead to disability, disfigurement, organ damage, scarring, and a lifetime of emotional suffering. The personal injury claims accompanying these injuries are also much more complex and complicated. That’s why recovering full and fair financial compensation from the at-fault party is an essential part of your recovery. An experienced catastrophic injury attorney can help you get the compensation you need for lost earnings, medical bills, pain and suffering, and other costs. In the article below, we will discuss why you should hire a lawyer after a catastrophic injury.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury?
“Catastrophic injury” is a term referring to a severe injury that will permanently affect an individual. A catastrophic injury is often a permanent injury that can cause scarring and disfigurement, loss of limbs, or a lifelong disability. These injuries can significantly impact an accident victim’s life, livelihood, enjoyment of life, and ability to work and are likely to affect the family and friends of the injured person. Catastrophic injuries can also have a devastating effect on your emotional well-being where its very likely for you to suffer depression, anxiety, mental anguish, lost quality of life, humiliation, and post-traumatic stress disorder due to permanent injuries. Your family may also experience noneconomic damages, like the loss of your affection, care, parental guidance, or spousal consortium.
Many types of injuries can be classified as catastrophic injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Severe head injuries
- Broken bones
- Third-degree burn
- Spinal cord injury
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Temporary disabilities
- Permanent disabilities
- Loss of bodily functions
- Vision or hearing damage
- Loss of limbs
- All injuries requiring intensive or long-term medical care
Should You Hire A Catastrophic Injury Lawyer?
If you suffered a life-altering injury in an automobile crash, workplace accident, construction accident, or premises accident, you need an experienced catastrophic injury lawyer. These types of severe accidents aren’t like other accidents, which is why you need an attorney with the specialized skills and experience to represent you and litigate your case. Catastrophic injury cases will involve the need for long-term medical treatment and care and the corresponding medical costs and deal with significant wage loss reimbursement and other vital benefits. You need an experienced attorney who knows how to help you get your medical bills paid and get you reimbursed for your lost wages within your state’s statute of limitations.
What Can You Be Compensated For In a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
If you have experienced a devastating injury after an accident, there are things you can be compensated for by the negligent party and their insurance company.
Some of the things your personal injury lawsuit will include are:
- Medical Expenses: A severe and life-changing injury will require extensive medical care. Your settlement will include compensation for all medical bills associated with your injury.
- Lost Wages: Due to the severity of the injury, you may be left unable to work. You can be compensated for all of your current and future lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: In addition to physical injuries, you will also have to deal with the emotional distress they cause. The resulting pain and suffering will be included in your compensation.
- Wrongful death damages– If the catastrophic accident resulted in the loss of life, the surviving family can be compensated for burial and funeral expenses and loss of consortium.
- Loss of enjoyment: If you lose the ability to do something you once loved, you can be compensated for the loss of enjoyment of life.
- Property Damage: In accidents like car wrecks, you can seek payment for property repairs or replacement when property damage occurs.
- Punitive Damages: Punitive damages are granted by the judge in cases of gross negligence, recklessness, or intent to harm.
We’re Ready to Fight For You!
Catastrophic injuries are often life-changing for the victims, but they don’t have to deal with that alone. The experienced lawyers at Larry Nussbaum Trial Attorneys have all the tools available to work with your personal injury case, regardless of its type, to get you the maximum compensation for your injuries. Our legal team has recovered hundreds of millions in lawsuits involving catastrophic injuries. If you’re looking for a catastrophic injury attorney to ensure you receive a fair settlement, Shannarah Law is the right place. Schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today. We are here for you 24/7!